Traditional Chimichurri (Green Version) is a staple of Argentina. The sauce is piquant, herbal, fresh, and perfectly compliments any grilled meat. Many in the United States will add cilantro/mint/dill/lemon zest to give it a complex, citrusy flavor. This recipe is a traditional Argentinian version, but feel free to add those additional ingredients if you wish. Traditional Argentinian chimichurri is a wonderful condiment on any wood-grilled meat. Equally as good on beef, chicken, pork, or seafood.
There is also a red or Rojo version of this sauce that is even spicier than the green. I will put that version out soon as well. However, each is worthy in its own right and a sauce you should try.
Wine and Beer pairings:
Wine: Argentina makes some great wines at a terrific value. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah all pair well with Chimichurri.
Beer: Amber Ale or Pilser’s work best.
Traditional Argentinian Chimichurri
- measuring cups and spoons
- chef knife
- storage container with lid.
- ¼ cup parsley, cleaned and chopped (Italian)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp oregano, fresh (woody stems removed), or dried
- 2 tbsp pepper, red, crushed
- 4 tbsp vinegar, red wine
- ½ cup oil, extra virgin olive oil (preferably Spanish)
- 1 tsp salt, kosher, or sea
- 1 tsp pepper, black ground
Prepare the Herbs and Spices
- Roughly chop the parsley to fit the measuring cup. If using fresh oregano, strips the flavorful leaves from the woody stems and roughly chop.
- Peel and trim garlic cloves as needed and roughly chop.
- Measure out the salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add all of the above ingredients to a blender and add the red wine vinegar.
Process the Sauce
- With the blender running on low, slowly add the olive oil to emulsify the sauce.
- Serve the traditional Argentinian chimichurri at room temperature.
Storing traditional Argentinian chimichurri
- You can store the chimichurri in a container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Alternatively, you can freeze the sauce for up to a month if you need to.