Growing up on the Texas Gulf coast, shrimp, crab and all manner of seafood are plentiful. One of the many Mexican style dishes enjoyed by all who live on the Gulf of Mexico is Shrimp and Crab Campechana. It is simply a dressed up seafood cocktail which features shellfish, as I’ve done here, or you can add cooked fish, octopus, scallops or just about anything edible from the sea.
While I use frozen seafood here, it is preferable to use fresh shrimp and crab in the recipe and I exclusively do in the summer time. The dish is very savory and addictive. For me, it preserves the taste of summer in the winter time since I often use frozen pre-cooked ice shrimp. As I write this, I can see myself at a warm beach side, outdoor bar with an ice cold beer about to dive into a parfait of jumbo lump crab meat and shrimp.
I like to serve Campechana with crackers or tortilla chips. It also makes a great seafood cocktail dip, just keep it cold over ice if you are serving it this way.
Gulf Coast Campechana
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup white onion, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp oregano, fresh chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm, sliced
- 2 whole Hatch (Sandia) chilies, roasted, peeled substitute jalapeno or serrano
- 2 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 cup avocado oil substitute any neutral flavored oil of your choice
- 1 whole avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1/3 cup ketchup preferably Heinz Organic
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup Clamato tomato juice Clamato is 4 parts tomato juice 1 part clam juice if it is not available in your area
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Tabasco style hot sauce
- 2 pinch salt
- 2 pinch coarse grind black pepper
- 1/2 pound ice shrimp, cooked any type of shrimp can be substituted
- 1/2 pound lump crab meat, cleaned and picked over
- Prep the first 9 ingredients and place into a medium or large mixing bowl.
- Add the avocado oil to the mix and prep the fresh avocado. Once the avocado is diced, add to the mixture along with the lemon and lime juice.
- Add all the liquid ingredients along with the salt and pepper
- Add the shrimp and crab. Gently mix to combine.
- Serve in individual portions or as a savory cold dip with crackers or tortilla chips.