When I attended the Maui Wine and Food Festival in Kapalua, HI a few years ago, I had a smoothie bowl for breakfast from Island Vintage Coffee. It was fresh, delicious, and made with local honey, fruit and organic granola. This recipe bumps up the same experience I had there.
Whenever I make these for me and my wife, it always puts me in a better mood, and I find myself more alert throughout the afternoon. Bee pollen is considered one of nature’s most complete foods due to its comprehensive and balanced nutrient profile. A complete protein, rich in vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids and anti-oxidants, it is considered an immune system builder that will also enhance vitality. Combine this with homemade granola and we have entered superfood territory!
Maui Style Acai Sunrise Bowl
- 2 whole bananas frozen, peeled cut into chunks
- 1/2 cups organic strawberries frozen
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks frozen
- 1/2 cup mango chunks frozen
- 1/3 cup açaí berry puree
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup homemade granola store bought works too
- 1/4 cup pineapple slices
- 1/2 whole sliced banana
- 1/4 cup fresh organic strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh organic blueberries
- 1 tsp bee pollen, unprocessed (optional)
- 1 tbs shredded coconut, unsweetened (optional)
- Add the frozen strawberries, banana, pineapple, mango, açaí puree and almond milk to a blender.
- Starting on low, mix the fruit and almond milk until smooth.
- Blend until incorporated. Taste for sweetness.
- Pour about 2 1/2 cups of the mixture into a bowl or pint glass.
- Top with a layer of homemade granola and slices of fresh pineapple, mango, banana, strawberry, blueberry. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and top with a dusting of bee pollen.