Gulf Coast Campechana
This recipe is simple. Prep the ingredients, put everything into a bowl, and mix gently. Keep cold and enjoy!
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup white onion, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp oregano, fresh chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm, sliced
- 2 whole Hatch (Sandia) chilies, roasted, peeled substitute jalapeno or serrano
- 2 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 cup avocado oil substitute any neutral flavored oil of your choice
- 1 whole avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1/3 cup ketchup preferably Heinz Organic
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup Clamato tomato juice Clamato is 4 parts tomato juice 1 part clam juice if it is not available in your area
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Tabasco style hot sauce
- 2 pinch salt
- 2 pinch coarse grind black pepper
- 1/2 pound ice shrimp, cooked any type of shrimp can be substituted
- 1/2 pound lump crab meat, cleaned and picked over
Prep the first 9 ingredients and place into a medium or large mixing bowl.
Add the avocado oil to the mix and prep the fresh avocado. Once the avocado is diced, add to the mixture along with the lemon and lime juice.
Add all the liquid ingredients along with the salt and pepper
Add the shrimp and crab. Gently mix to combine.
Serve in individual portions or as a savory cold dip with crackers or tortilla chips.
This recipe can be prepped and kept on hand until you need it. Add all of the ingredients except the avocado, lump crab meat, shrimp and hearts of palm. The base will stay fresh if tightly sealed for some time. Add the fresh avocado, lump crab meat, shrimp and hearts of palm just before serving.
This dish is great with warm fried tortilla chips and ice cold Mexican beer.